Saturday, March 6, 2010

A Soldier's Wife

Just one month and 22 days after we were married, my husband deployed for his third tour, the first since we have been together. This deployment is to be twelve months. Of course I was sad to see him go, but know that he will return to me, safely, and we will continue this journey we started, together. Matt is in Afghanistan for the second time, his first tour being in Iraq.

My new sister-in-law has shared a poem that I am taking from her blog, because it has truly given me strength since the first time I saw it, the day after Matt left. It has lead me to find strength since he has been gone; strength I did not know I had.

A Soldier's Wife's Prayer
Dear Lord,

Give me the greatness of heart to see
The difference between his duty and his love for me.
Give me understanding so that I may know
That when duty calls him, he must go.
Give me a task to do each day
To fill the time when he is away.
And Lord, when he is in a foreign land,
Keep him safe and in your loving hand.
~Unknown

Thank you for sharing this, Amanda. You don't know how much it has truly helped.

As the deployment goes on, I hope to track our lives together, only separate. Our journey will continue after he gets home, and we will open more chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment